An Interview with Swanaz, July 2025

How do you feel your sound has changed since we last talked? What new ways of working/outlooks/inspirations have you gained that influence your music?

I’d have to say it’s definitely changed, I’m in a weird mood musically - I’ve branched out into different genres and sounds, I don’t think I’d have a permanent style - I just make music to make music. Personally, I listen to music that’s the opposite of what I’m making at the moment, I think if you listen to the genre of what you make so much, you seem to unknowingly copy. Even the different sounds you hear can lead to new views and adds to your own sound, it’s a whole process but it helps in the long run.



The last time we talked you were under a different name! What inspired the change and what led to the decision of Swanaz? 

Honestly the name change was the outcome of growing up. I was tired of having a silly goofy name and wanted to be my own musician and have a more serious name Swanaz is the Viking pronunciation of swan and it’s so unique to me and is pretty much the more popular and preferred animal between them and ducks, it was a artist change.

  


Describe your creative process! Is your music made in a more organized, blocked out manner or is it more on the go/improvisational? How do you see the process shine through in the finished product?

From the get-go, I like a more improvisational type of creative process. I like letting my emotions and feelings be the leading factors of my sound. Weirdly enough, once I strike a “sound” it proceeds to lead perfectly to most of the music that I keep - like it just all falls into place over time.



Tell me about the creative process behind your most recent release! What were some general goals/messages you wanted to portray through it? What does it mean to you? 

My latest solo release was my album “Come Home I NeeD You My Dearest Mime” this was my first release under the Swanaz name, and it’s been my most personal album yet. I wanted to be honest with how I feel, and it shows through the music. I made the first half pure electronic beats, and for the second half I wanted to showcase my musical abilities to others and have an ambient sound. It got across perfectly, I've had people walk up to me and tell me that this album had threw them off from what I put out previously, it was nice to hear.



You also play in a jazz group! How has your group work influenced/inspired you in your solo projects? Has the new input and style of playing aided you in your personal creations? 

Yes, Do You Know Today’s New Sound Wave is my jazz group with my buddy Jared and Rosemary with me. We all got together after we got tired of music we wanted to try just something new we figured we’d do jazz after we had a jam session and we just ran with it. Working in a group rather than solo was something I did not expect to enjoy it was a relief to have different ears around to get feedback from and I see myself going back to the project files of those songs and seeing how all of us contributed to each song, I use it for my own work it was the best thing that could happen to me musically.



What's been your favorite moment/biggest achievement as a musician so far? 

Around a year ago, I had the idea to sell CDs. I knew I wouldn’t sell much so I went ahead and made twenty copies. I managed to sell all of them in a week! Everyone was excited to receive them, just to be able to say you sold out of your album is an achievement I never knew I’d say. What made it better was I made five alternative CDs and I auctioned off all of them, and the prices people paid for each was out of this world. With that I knew I could take this music thing seriously if i wanted to.



If you could, what would you say to yourself when you started out as a musician? What piece of advice do you wish you knew back then? 

Honestly I wouldn’t say much, but some advice I’d say would be; don’t try to copy your inspirations, be yourself and while you might not like the products you’re producing you will soon.

  


What is your current big goal? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?

As of now I am working on a brand new project, I think it’s my most personal work yet. I'm also working on my record label GLORPAZORP. RECORDS as of now and hope to have some more artists on board. I’m not in a rush to finish everything but I’m excited for everyone to see the final products.


instagram.com/angel_swanaz/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beefcake, July 2025

An Interview with LiteBug, July 2025

An Interview with Eldritchsaxes, August 2026