An Interview with Baldiyeraldi, July 2025
How would you describe your sound?
I know a lot people say you should try to find your niche, especially when beginning your DJ career. From a business perspective, I understand that. But it would feel painful for me to only ever play one genre. Beyond the technical skills that comes with delivering a set, when my set reflects how I’m feeling emotionally, that’s when my set is great, not just good. On any given day I’m listening to Dimension Latina, PinkPanthress, Charli xcx, Los Enanitos Verdes, BeyoncĂ©, and more. But it’s always music that reflects my emotional state, or an emotional state I’m striving for. So I can’t help but to prepare sets that also reflect my emotional state. It’s hard to confine my style to specific genre(s), given that every other day I’m listening to different tracks I want to incorporate into my set. So my style is Mexican Texan non-binary Queer lol.Who/what inspires your music?
My friends inspire my music. I always learn something new when I DJ with my friends.
Sometimes we’ll practice together and they do something that makes me think “I never thought about it like that” and you take that and apply it using your own style, and make something new. We enter this back and forth, and when we reach this state of creative synergy and vulnerability, that’s when I feel the most inspired. Thank you Rei Rei and Zativa!
You mentioned you have a pretty wide range of genres! How did you develop in so many areas of music? Was it a gradual expansion or was it more sudden/how you started?
Growing up in Dallas, TX exposed me to a wide range of genres. My parents are Mexican immigrants so they exposed me to cumbia, banda, and rancheras to name a few. My older brother exposed me to rap and hip-hop. In college, my best friend exposed me to Caribbean music, and my other friend is emo. You just meet different people throughout your life and they show you new things.
If you could open for any artist, who would it be?
If I could open for any artist it’d be BeyoncĂ©.
What is your current big goal? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?
My current biggest goal is to make a song. I haven’t produced my own song in over a year, and it’s scary. I just want to make one song! But I’m struggling with choosing a genre, and writing is also scary! It’ll probably be a fun reggaeton track, and it’ll probably be a little bad, but that’s okay.Do you have any advice for someone looking to start DJing/start developing an audience for their music?
Advice to anyone looking to DJ is to let yourself be bad. Especially when starting, it’s tempting to aim for perfection. You don’t need a thousand dollar board to start, you don’t even need a board at all! You can download Serato right now and mix using your keyboard, and see how that feels. Don’t make it harder for yourself. But if you want to be a DJ you will find a way to push through your fears and perceived limitations, and if you don’t, you probably didn’t even really want to be a DJ to begin with!



Comments
Post a Comment