An Interview with Will Beezy, July 2025

 How would you describe your sound? What interests you about your genre specifically?

I would describe my sound as smooth, catchy, eccentric, authentic and soulful all in one bold genre of R&B; What interests me the most is the beauty in how R&B music can be instilled and implemented in all genres of music.

  


Who/what inspires your music?

To be transparent I thank Yah that I was blessed to grow up with both sides of my family being heavily inclined to all music; from gospel in the church to even New York Broadway. As I got older and started to express myself through the music independently , my family as well as my own journey became more of an influence and inspiration to my music now.

  


If you could open for any musician/band, who would it be?

 That’s tricky because being an Independent artist I wanna open for EVERYBODY! But to name a few artists I would love to open for it would be Brent Faiyaz, Odeal, Leon Bridges, Giveon, Daniel Caesar, Lucky Daye, Leon Thomas, and Chris Brown



What does making music mean to you? What got you into it/keeps you continuing?

It’s second nature to living, the core of “the journey before the destination”; the essence and beauty of expression to everyday life and the madness we live in; making music is a true authentic form of art that can be underrated a lot of the times. People tend to forget to appreciate the moment in everyday life and how what you been/go through is what makes you better now. They rather just hear the next hit and not dissect the creative process. 

What really got me into making music personally was coming to the end of my senior year of highschool, me and a friend of mine would skip lunch and have jam sessions in the choir room. He would play the piano or guitar and I would just freestyle or even sing covers and improv, and as we continued to do so we started to gain a little audience in our peers and even teachers to a point where we decided to actually move further along with music as a duo band a little bit after high school. Eventually time passed and the duo was short lived but that encouraged me to try going solo and just expressing how I feel from my life experience. Wether it’s about relationships, family, personal milestones or goals, it’s the appreciation of being able to go through this life that keeps me goin.

  


How do you keep yourself motivated and inspired/how do you work through creative blocks?

It really can be a mental struggle most of the time and with so much going on in the world, I can admit that I’ve had/have my fair share of creative blocks and felt kinda burnt out. One thing that’s been helping me personally is taking moments and small breaks away from social media of any kind. It just gives me a brief moment to really clear my mind of a lot of clutter. And when I’m away from social media I’m taking moments to listen to more vintage R&B music and appreciate the legends before me. It gives me inspiration to really dissect their sound and see how I can branch off into my own writing or next project I’m working on.

  


What is your creative process like? Is it more organized & session based or more sporadic and fleeting? 

I would say my creative process can be pretty sporadic and maybe slightly unorthodox but organized all at the same time. A lot of the times when I get a beat from my producer, I’m at home listening to it several times by myself. I see colors of my own when I listen to beats so it allows me to figure out the color or mood of how I wanna do the song. From there I’m looking for the melody in my head based on the flow or cadence of the beat because that’s gonna be the essence of my hook. Once I find my melody then it makes it easier for me to come up with a hook and really be open minded on how I want to do the verse. And then that’s when I start to write. From hook to verse I’m damn near done with my song because the hook will be the core throughout it. I’m just coming up with ways to extend what I meant in the first verse to the second verse and then I’ll write some catchy adlibs and fillers, a dope outro and I’m done. And THATS when I head to the studio, when I have everything prepared and I know exactly how I want to do my song. 

  


What are some of your rituals/inspirations when writing music? (do you listen/pull inspo from other artists? do you have a specific place you like to write at? etc.)

Before I write I like to listen to old school R&B artists and modern day R&B that have a similar style to mine and familiar songs that are more similar sounding to the beat I have. I really take that time to dissect the differences and similarities in styles and what made their song a hit in particular in that time and even now. I listen to the story behind it and how I can relate to what they’ve experienced. From there it gives me the mantra of “I’m more than capable, if they can do it why not me?”. That’s when the magic happens.


  

You're from Dallas and have performed in a ton of places in the surrounding areas! Does your location have any impact on your creative process/work? What is the R&B scene like in Dallas?

I believe yes and no as far as my location being an impact. Yes because I’m always networking, experiencing new things and learning all while in the city I was born and raised in which is forever appreciated, however I also say no. Thankfully my location doesn’t affect my creativity in anyway. As long as I have the resources I can make the next hit in a cave in the mountains.

As far as the R&B scene in Dallas? To be honest the R&B scene doesn’t get enough attention that it needs in Dallas. We have so much upcoming underground talent that can get overlooked majority of times. Thankfully it’s slowly rising compared to the past decade but Dallas being a major city, I believe there’s an underlying opportunity of growth in the coming years for R&B talent to really be heard and appreciated more globally.

  


Which song of yours do you consider to be your favorite? Why?

I will always say it’s a tie between “Ride Through” and “ Intoxicated” simply because those two songs speak value and growth to me being the first two songs I ever written and professionally recorded. Just a testimony from when I wasn’t even thinking about music to actually getting that spark and putting myself out there and going solo, the beauty of the journey I’m in.



What is your current big goal? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?

 A big goal of mine is to be able to do music as my full time career. I want to gain more of a following when it comes to my fan base to where I can be able to perform at different sold out events of my own along with other, different festivals, and venues. 

Right now I’m continuing to perform, network and perfect my craft. I’m still working, still writing, still growing, still living. I got my first major album I’ll be dropping by the end October so I’m really excited about that.

  


Do you have any advice for someone looking to start making music? 

If I’m capable of doing it, why not you? All it takes is for you to really believe in yourself more than anything or anybody in the world. Passion drives action and in one moment your whole life can switch for the better.


msha.ke/willbeezy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beefcake, July 2025

An Interview with Kylie Rowland, July 2025

An Interview with Berzerko, July 2022