An Interview with Laura Switzer, July 2025

 How would you describe your sound? What interests you about your genre specifically?

 I would describe my sound as Folk-pop! I always start writing my songs by strumming chords on a guitar, which has expanded to that folk-pop sound I found through my first single. My favorite thing about this genre is it holds catchy lyrics and melodies- yet it tends to explore really intricate themes. I love when songs are super upbeat but have the most bittersweet lyrics.



Who/what inspires your music?

 To be honest- my inner child. When I was younger I would have “concerts” in my room every single day. Singing along to CDs and acting as though I was a popstar was my favorite thing. I let my inner child lead me, because this was her dream in the first place. She inspires me to keep going and exploring all the things that make me feel young again. That’s why so many of my songs explore themes of my inner child- because this is all for her!



If you could open for any musician/band, who would it be?

THIS IS SO HARD!!!! I think my top two would either be Maisie Peters or Gracie Abrams. Those two have contributed so much to my life with their albums alone. They’ve gotten me through some pretty rough times, but they’ve also inspired my writing and style so much. To perform with them would be an absolute dream come true.



What does making music mean to you? What got you into it/keeps you continuing?

 To me, music means encapsulating a feeling or experience in order to share my story and make others feel understood. As I said, I have loved music since I was a little girl. My dad is a musician, so I grew up surrounded by music in all forms. I would sit on my floor and cry to the “Believe” (Justin Bieber) album because I loved it so much. I think that’s encouraging what’s me to keep going. The fact that someone out there could hear my music and feel seen makes it all worthwhile.



How do you keep yourself motivated and inspired/how do you work through creative blocks?

 Besides looking to my inner child for motivation and perspective, it helps me to constantly remind myself of my vision. Reflecting on the stories I want to share and the major goals I have helps me clear my mind and refocus. My favorite way of doing this is either making a Pinterest board or a collage that reflects my vision for future projects, branding, etc.



Tell me about Entirely Perfect!! What was your creative process like when creating the song? Was it more organized & session based or more sporadic and fleeting? What were some of the main ideas you wanted to convey through it?

I wrote “entirely perfect” last summer, when I was just recovering from a pretty tumultuous break up. I remember just playing my guitar and the lyrics just started to fall in place. I spent months rearranging lyrics and working on it so the story made more sense, and then I presented it in my Songwriter’s Workshop class at Millikin University!! I got some great feedback on it and then through that class our professor helped us track and produce everything. It was a very sporadic process in terms of completion but those months where it was just me and the song were where most of the fleeting moments were. I just knew I wanted to convey that although things may seem messy and upsettingly imperfect, the experiences that shape your life will always be worth it in the end. You’re still just a human figuring life out for the first time.



What are some of your rituals/inspirations when writing music? (do you listen/pull inspo from other artists? Do you have a specific place you like to write at? etc.)

 I love pulling inspiration from other artists! I especially pull inspiration in terms of chord structure. I’m not the best at pulling chords out of thin air, so looking at songs that have similar vibes to what I’m writing is so helpful. I usually just take out a notebook, write all the phrases and metaphors that are coming to mind, and get the ball rolling.



What is your current big goal? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?

 I just graduated college, so I have several goals on the docket right now! I would say my biggest goal is to build my discography. I have plans to move to Nashville next year, so in the meantime I would love to release more songs and keep making content that reflects my brand. I think that’ll help me feel more established before I hit the big city!!

linktr.ee/lauraswitzerz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beefcake, July 2025

An Interview with Kylie Rowland, July 2025

An Interview with Berzerko, July 2022