An Interview with Gabrielle Lea, July 2025

 How would you describe your sound? What interests you about your genre specifically?

I personally describe myself as an indie folk artist, my main draw to this genre was the storytelling within in the songs. 

  


If you could open for any musician/band, who would it be?

If I ever had the opportunity I would love to open for Jesse Welles, I admire him as an artist and he has influenced a lot of my own writing. 

  


What does making music mean to you? What got you into it/keeps you continuing?

I have always been surrounded by music, and while my background within it is fairly eclectic, it has always been a part of my life in some way. I think I continue to do it because it is something that just comes so naturally to me, it's second nature and it brings me so much joy.



 How do you keep yourself motivated and inspired/how do you work through creative blocks?

I personally write everyday, it's part of my routine, my habit, it's something that I enjoy and do consistently. I have the privilege of having many friends who are also involved with music, if I feel stuck in something I often turn to them. 



What is your creative process like when writing? Is it more organized & session based or more sporadic and fleeting? - When writing, what do you tend to focus on? Are you more invested in the storytelling or the rhythmic qualities of it? 

I am primarily a storyteller in my music, creating imagery, feelings or narrative is something that is extremely important to me. I write my lyrics first, and then talk through them to find the rhythm and voice I want them to have.   


You mentioned that your music tends to be very personal! What is it like writing about your personal experiences? What is it like being vulnerable within your work, and sharing that vulnerability with an audience? 

It's funny, one of the biggest things I had to overcome was being vulnerable to an audience. My background is primarily in musical theater, in which what you are singing - while it can often be close to home - is through the mind and gaze of the character you are portraying, it's you, but it's not you. When I first started sharing some of my own writing, I realized how different, how difficult, it was to be myself on stage instead of a character. When I really got serious about writing, and more personal, it was honestly something that was really scary for me. However, in doing it despite the fear, it ended up being a really important outlet for me. It allowed to me process what I was feeling, and honestly not feel as alone in it. 

  


What are some of your rituals/inspirations when writing music? (do you listen/pull inspo from other artists? Do you have a specific place you like to write at? etc.)

If I'm writing for a specific project I tend to make playlists with similar production and writing to that project to get an idea of the sound and go from there. For my own writing, I usually have an idea of the narrative I want to tell. I have a clear idea of the message or feeling or image I want people to see, and I build on it from that.

  


Which song of yours do you consider to be your favorite? Why?

Honestly, it's "infomercials 4am" I feel like it's some of my strongest writing, that the image is really clear and it's just genuinely so fun to perform live.



 What is your current big goal? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?

Long term, in addition to my own music projects, I'd like to work as a song writer. I really enjoy writing both for myself and other artists. In the shorter term, I have a couple albums in the works, set to release throughout next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beefcake, July 2025

An Interview with Kylie Rowland, July 2025

An Interview with Berzerko, July 2022