An Interview with Slain By Saints, October 2024
How did you come up with the name?
Apart from wanting to capture a name that expresses the idea of being betrayed by the people you relied on and the metaphor that many people and institutions we look up to are malignant perpetrators, Slain by Saints really rolls off the tongue.
How would you describe your sound?
We have a unique sound that blends post-punk, indie, and art rock with a baroque, self-aware twist.
How was the band formed?
I (Brendan Flanagan) actually wrote our first single, "Retrograde" before the band was formed when I was trying to develop a sound for myself. I was drumming for a ton of different bands over the years and didn't realize I knew how to write songs. Then I had no choice but to take the reigns after I had a rough falling out with one of my bands and the other one broke up. I never realized how much I was being held back.
How did you develop your sound as a group?
I wrote all the songs we're performing, but I look forward to writing songs as a unit in time. I take influence from a lot of Post-Punk and Indie Rock bands, such as Talking Heads, Car Seat Headrest, Shame, and Ought. I also incorporate non-musical inspirations in our music. I watch a lot of shows like The Sopranos as well as comedy shows from the independent streaming service Dropout, so I always have references and themes from media like this on my mind when I'm writing or recording.
How do you deal with creative blocks? How do you continue to come up with new sounds/ideas?
By listening to new music, going for a head-clearing walk, and jamming out. I love discovering new artists; finding a new sound I haven't heard before is my perfect drug.
Tell me about your double-single! What was the process/meaning behind the songs, what did you hope to convey through them?
The first song, "The Train Song" is about my disdain for highways and love for trains with a slight brooding theme. The next song, "The Improvement", dives into introspection and moral identity. There was a time when I was pressured by people I considered close friends who accusatorially told me to improve myself without suggesting how until I realized I was being gaslit by false friends who prioritized their appearances over community.
What is the hardest part about being in a band? What gets you through those times?
The feeling of dread I get that comes from imposter syndrome; worrying that no one will support our band and we will be a victim of false manifestation that makes us a forever-local band.
Which song of yours was the most fun to write & make?
That would be a song that has yet to be released, called "Since I First Saw You", a loud yet dynamic tune where I address the people I love that aren't in my life anymore. It's a jam.
What is the hardest part of releasing music?
The hardest part is also the funnest part: recording and distributing. I record, mix, and master all our songs. Although it's DIY, I care a lot about production and spend hours on the mixes to make them sound as polished as possible. It's a long and tedious process, but I love producing.



Comments
Post a Comment