An Interview with XOCH, October 2024





How would you describe your sound? What interests you about your genre specifically?

I would describe my music as powerful, melodic, catchy and emotive indie Rock. I love and enjoy creating and writing music, so I really don’t focus on a specific genre when I’m writing.



What does making music mean to you? What got you into it/keeps you continuing? How do you keep yourself motivated and inspired/how do you work through creative blocks?


My love and dedication to my art and the creative process got me into music. It means so much to me to be able to express myself creatively and have others relate to my music. That’s really what keeps me going. It’s a gift and an amazing experience to share your music with people! I really hope that listeners will connect and find their own meaning and place for my music in their life.




You have an impressive amount of licenses to major TV and commercial companies! What did those processes look like? What pushed you to first license your music?


Thank you!!! I got into licensing music after I was contacted by a couple music supervisors who were looking for music for various films and submitted my music and thankfully my songs worked for those projects! That led me to work with non exclusive libraries which also helped get my music into more projects and it just kept going from there. It’s ultimately about how your music can best support the scene and story.




What is your creative process like? Is it more organized & session based or more sporadic and fleeting?


There’s no process no formula when writing. Each song is very unique in the way it is created. I always remain open and trust the creative process when I start coming up with ideas. When it comes to writing new songs, sometimes it starts with the music or a chord structure, sometimes it’s a melody or a some lyrics that start the beginnings of a song. 





What are some of your rituals/inspirations when writing music? (do you listen/pull inspo from other artists? do you have a specific place you like to write at? etc.)


Song inspiration is different for me every time I write a song. When I’m writing, I draw upon the experiences of others or my own insights and perceptions. It really depends and when inspiration strikes. I have learned to harness that power because amazing things can happen. 




How has your work changed throughout your career? (Ie. Your writing/creation processes, your mindsets, goals, etc.) How have you seen yourself grow within your music?


I have always been drawn to music. Music is such an important element in my life. I’ve learned change is a part of life and it’s important to continue to evolve and grow as an artist whether it’s musically, visually or personally. 




Which song of yours do you consider to be your favorite? Why?


I have released 6 EPs independently so to be honest, I can’t say I have a favorite song. Each song is really personal and special to me so it’s really hard for me to be biased. 




What is your current big goal? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?


I’m always in a perpetual momentum - working on writing new material, booking shows/festivals and getting my music out there. It’s a hustle LOL! But in all seriousness, it really is a cyclical process and I’m constantly balancing responsibility and reevaluating goals. Artists always have to stay one step ahead. It’s just the nature of the work. I feel extremely fortunate for all the opportunities that have gotten me to where I am. I’m excited about the possibilities the future holds! It makes me thrilled that I can continue to commit my dedication to the craft of writing and performing! My big picture goal is to continue being an artist, creating music and continually finding ways to get it out there. An Oscar, and a Grammy would be nice!


https://xoch.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beefcake, July 2025

An Interview with Kylie Rowland, July 2025

An Interview with Berzerko, July 2022