An Interview with Lara Mbella, October 2024



How would you describe your work?

I describe my work as innovative, original, genuine, sophisticated, and suitable for all types of audiences.


 

What does making music mean to you? What got you into it/keeps you continuing?

Making music is a calling that comes from the heart and must be expressed. It is a vocation that knows no boundaries and is open to everyone.

I never seriously considered giving up music because I never had a solid backup plan to replace all the years and money I've invested in it. On the other hand, being an artist makes me happy because it's the best way for me to contribute and support the beautiful environment around me.


 

What interests you about the recorder specifically? What first got you interested in learning/playing? 

I started playing the recorder in primary school as an after-school activity. Last year, my mom suggested that I apply to the conservatory to become a professional player. Fueled by her encouragement, I decided to continue after being accepted.

I find it fascinating that the recorder has continuously evolved. On one hand, there is an incredible variety of musical repertoire spanning from the Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, and Contemporary eras to today's Jazz, Rock 'n Roll, Funk, and more. On the other hand, the instrument's shape has consistently changed over time in response to historical periods and music genres, thanks to the efforts of makers and factories. Some notable examples include Adriana Breukink's Bassano Renaissance consort, the Paetzold by Kunath, medieval recorders by Li Virghi, and the Helder recorder by Mollenhauer.

 

How do you keep yourself motivated and inspired/how do you work through creative blocks?

The creativity comes in waves. Sometimes you're at the peak of inspiration, and other times you're at a low point, gathering energy for a new vision.

 



What is your creative process like? Is it more organized & session based or more sporadic and fleeting? 

Both aspects influence each other; there is no hierarchy. The river can only flow through solid rocks, and the rocks create the path where the river flows.

 

 

 

Why is the element of performance important to you when playing live? How do you use your elaborate performances to enhance your music?

The beauty of being a performer is experiencing the energy of the audience. The lights, sound, staging, and outfit are carefully planned to create a specific atmosphere. From the moment spectators enter the venue, they should feel immersed in my world, where my performance brings that world to life.

 



What are some of your rituals/inspirations when writing music/brainstorming performances? (do you listen/pull inspo from other artists? Do you have a specific place you like to write at? etc.) 

All of my performances originate from visualizations in my mind, where I can foresee the future. Once the vision is complete, my immediate reaction is to jot down what I saw - not because I might forget, but because it needs to be documented in the present.


Tell me about The Recorder Comedy! What was your process like when organizing this show and bringing your ideas into reality? What were some inspirations/ideas behind it?

The Recorder Comedy represents a fusion of my two sides - the humorous and the love for the recorder. This project was born with the genuine intention of blending my musical studies with classical performance in another artistic field. I have a passion for comedy and enjoy how comedians connect with the audience and make them laugh. This is something that doesn't happen often in the musical world, and I wanted to introduce this joy into my solo concerts. 

 


Do you often use improvisation in your performances? What intrigues you about improv specifically? 

I rarely improvised; however, I decided to do so in order to become more comfortable expressing myself on the spot, regardless of the circumstances.


What is your current big goal? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?

I aspire to travel around the world with my projects and masterclasses to showcase the incredible instrument that is the recorder. Currently, I am working on creating and defining my artistic portfolio and exploring opportunities for performances.


https://www.youtube.com/@larambella7493?app=desktop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Beefcake, July 2025

An Interview with Kylie Rowland, July 2025

An Interview with Berzerko, July 2022