An Interview with alekseighostmonster, October 2024
Tell me about your sound! How would you describe it? Who/what are some of your main inspirations?
I like to describe my sound as dark, ethereal and dreamy electronic music using elements from a variety of genres like ambient, house, hardstyle, jungle, etc.
I’m inspired by fantasy games and stories like Skyrim (which I played an ungodly amount of growing up) and artists like Deadmau5, Aphex Twin, and Yabujin.
What got you interested in electronic music? What made you want to start DJing yourself?
I feel like my interest in electronic music stemmed from growing up in the late 2000s early 2010s listening to youtube tutorial music and dubstep my oldest brother was finding at the time. Soundtracks for games like Minecraft, Skyrim, terraria also stuck with me. I was listening to a lot of Deadmau5, Martin Garrix, David Guetta. I really owe my brother a lot for putting me on to cool things back then, I knew Yung Lean gingseng strip back in 2013 thanks to him.
If you could open for any musician/band, who would it be?
I would love to open for artists like MIKE, JpegMafia, or Lazer Dim. I love their music and I’d also just want to see the audience real confused and try to win them over.
What does making music mean to you? What got you into it/keeps you continuing?
Music means a lot to me! I got into it at a time when I felt very isolated. I had this creative energy I needed to get out somehow. I started on Garage Band back in 2018, made my first EP on FL studio mobile in 2020, got Ableton soon after, made some internet friends, and now I'm here.
How do you keep yourself motivated and inspired/how do you work through creative blocks?
My friends really motivate me to make music. Seeing what they’re working on or what they have made definitely provIdes a spark. Meeting Ayechris has helped with that a ton. for the most part I have a very low output when it comes to music, it doesn’t come as naturally for me so I tend to work on other creative things I'm drawn to at that time until I start itching to make some music again.
Tell me about your creative process! is it more organized & session based or more sporadic and fleeting?
My creative process is definitely a fleeting thing. Usually, I won’t do much for a while, maybe a few sketches or edits until one day I lose my mind a bit and cover my whole wall with art, or finish mixing every song on my album. Then, the cycle continues.
What are some of your rituals/inspirations when writing music? (do you listen/pull inspo from other artists? do you have a specific place you like to write at? etc.)
When I'm making music, it usually comes after a time of me listening to a lot of music and getting an idea of how to get a sound I want. When I'm actually producing, I just lock into Ableton until its done.
Which song of yours do you consider to be your favorite? Why?
Picking my favorite song I made is tough, there are a few I really love. I would say it’s an unreleased one off of my new album called “illusioncity." I really love the atmosphere I was able to get with it and I think its one of my songs that really captures what I'm going for with my vision.
I feel like electronic music can often blend into/become a soundscape and an immersive experience rather than a stand-alone song. Do you plan to continue on a more music-based route or would you consider getting into more soundscape concepts like video game or film music?
I’ve always thought about making songs as their own experience or that ties into a concept of an album, its hard to mix some of my songs for that reason because I feel like you only get the point when you listen to the whole thing. But I would also love to make music for games and videos, it’s really what got me into music in the first place.
What are some of your current big goals? What does the future hold/what are you working towards right now?
I have a few things I'm working on, my album is coming out very soon along with my first CD release and I'm very excited for that, me and some friends have been planning a show on November 1 thats going to be a lot of fun. In the future I hope to just keep planning and playing shows, making music with old and new friends, and making more people happy:)



Comments
Post a Comment